Welcome to my multi-language blog! I hope you find it interesting. Currently I am learning French, German, Dutch, Spanish and Mandarin to a greater or lesser degree depending on freetime and the level of my motivation. Thanks to some nice friends I can keep this motivation high enough to keep progressing. Please leave some comments if you like. Don't forget to visit my chatroom at Paltalk.com "AlanLancs1 language chatroom" in the "learning and universities" category - see you there!

Friday, August 03, 2007

Isn't English a bit odd sometimes?

Hello,

Today I’d like to talk about how the meaning of what we say in English can vary or change, either depending on the stress on the words, or sometimes just the words that we use. This happens in quite simple sentences – not just in complicated ones.

An example for you:- If I say this sentence:

Take your bag

without accent, it can sound like a simple instruction or invitation

If I say:

Take your BAG. This would mean a bag, not your camera, watch, cup or anything else you may feel like taking

If I say:

Take YOUR bag - I’m meaning your bag, not someone else’s bag

If I say:

TAKE your bag - this emphasises the word “take” rather than kicking it, or whatever else...

Even with so simple a sentence, a changed accent can give a different meaning.

Another example of the way English can be difficult is when the meaning isn’t so clear. We can emphasise this in two silly examples

I like Ice cream sundaes - I like Ice cream on Sundays
Do you like fruit fool? Do you like fruit you fool?

There are some ways of saying things that sound a bit strange

Hang up the telephone (put the telephone receiver back on the telephone or press the button to finish the call)

Lay the table (hens lay eggs... why do we say lay the table for meaning put the knives and forks and crockery onto the table before a meal)

Climb the stairs (we climb mountains as well!) simply means go up the stairs

Mow the lawn – which just means cut the grass

Catch a cold – how do we catch the virus that we can’t see? It just means we become ill with a cold

I go to bed – but when I get to the bed – I have to get on the bed to sleep I think....

Fall asleep – which means to go to sleep – Personally I just lie in bed and then sleep – I don’t fall anywhere...well, hopefully I don’t fall out of bed...

Throw away my old clothes – I don’t ever throw them – I just put them in a waste bin

Put the kettle on – I just switch on my electric kettle on to heat water. This is an old saying from when people placed the pot on a fire to heat water.

Take a bath – (have a bath) – My bath is still in the same place it hasn’t moved.

To fire someone – means they lose their job – they don’t get burned – we’ll unless the boss has other ideas.... It’s no easier in England as we say “to sack someone” which also means to lose their job – do we put someone in a sack??


Why do we say “I can’t wait for Christmas!” (meaning, “I’m eager for Christmas to arrive”) when quite obviously we have to wait

So, English is quite a silly language sometimes

Bye for now

See you next time

No comments: