Welcome to my multi-language blog! I hope you find it interesting. Currently I am learning French, German, Dutch, Spanish and Mandarin to a greater or lesser degree depending on freetime and the level of my motivation. Thanks to some nice friends I can keep this motivation high enough to keep progressing. Please leave some comments if you like. Don't forget to visit my chatroom at Paltalk.com "AlanLancs1 language chatroom" in the "learning and universities" category - see you there!

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Thanking people in English

Thanking people
In English classes, the most taught forms are:
Thankyou – useful for nearly any situation – formal or informal
Thankyou very much – useful for emphasising that you are very grateful to someone
Thanks – more informal – matter of fact – used in nearly any informal situation
We also use other words and phrases for thanking:
The most popular word these days in England is: "Cheers"
This can be a bit confusing as it is also the word we use for toasting someone with a drink (usually an alcoholic drink) "Cheers!"
Cheers – when we mean thanks is a popular way of thanking people for many things: in shops, on the street, with family etc
Other words we use:
Thanks a lot – we tend to use this in two ways: one to emphasise that we want to thank someone for their help "Thanks a lot for helping me with my homework". But also a negative way to say "I wish you hadn’t said that, or done that…thanks a lot!"
Thanks a million – is a very friendly way of saying thanks when someone has done something really special or helped you personally. "Thanks a million for your kind donation to the charity fund!"
Thanks so much - similar to "thanks a million" "thanks so much for all your help"
Thanks a bundle – this is like "thanks a million" - "thanks a bundle for the loan of your car"
Thanking you! This is a way of saying thanks in a way that shows other people you mean it. "thanking you for your help last week when you took my son to school"
"Thankyou kindly sir" (or madam) or "thank you kind sir" (or madam) we say this when we want to appear to be appreciating someone’s help in a pseudo formal style – deliberately to sound a little old-fashioned. Really we are saying this to friends or family to put a little more emphasis on the idea of thanking someone.
Nice one! An easy way of saying to friends the equivalent of "thankyou for this – I really needed it" example: lending someone some money..
Good one! Similar to "nice one"
Sound! (colloquial) Similar to "nice one"
We occasionally use a foreign word such as "gracias" or "merci" just to be a little different
Bye for now

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Alan,
I don't know how do you do. . . Often I try to listen movies or stories but I don't understand what they will said. So I I discourage. There are person who speaks as slow than you but I can't understand anything. Your podcasts I understand absolutely everything. It's a mystery for me but I am so happy about that. Do you understand what I mean?
I am going to continue to learn. It is too great.
Thank you so much
Have a good day
Tschüss
Bettina

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.