Welcome to my multi-language blog! I hope you find it interesting. Currently I am learning French, German, Dutch, Spanish and Mandarin to a greater or lesser degree depending on freetime and the level of my motivation. Thanks to some nice friends I can keep this motivation high enough to keep progressing. Please leave some comments if you like. Don't forget to visit my chatroom at Paltalk.com "AlanLancs1 language chatroom" in the "learning and universities" category - see you there!

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Podcast #2 transcript

Hello

Welcome to my second podcast. Bonjour, Guten Tag, Buenas dias, Bom dia, goeden dag, ni hao Jo napot

Today I’d like to talk about common mistakes which people make when they are learning English. These are often only small mistakes and really don’t matter to a native English speaker like me when we hear them – but I thought it might be interesting to discuss some of these small mistakes here,

Remember that part of my learning philosophy is to not worry about making mistakes – so with this podcast I’d like you to know that am not trying to make you worry about them – just to know a little more about my language.

The first common mistake people make is to use the word “since” when talking about things that are happening now that started in the past, for example when people say “I am learning English since 2 years” when this should be “ I have been learning English for 2 years”. We use the word “since” to describe things that started in the past, but not for talking about duration of time someone has been learning or doing something. Some examples of English using “since”

“Since I started learning English I find I enjoy writing letters more”
“Since you left I have been very sad”
“I’ve changed a lot since we last met”

Another common mistake is to use the phrase “of course” in the wrong context. If, for example someone offers you a cup of tea “would you like a cup of tea?” the correct answer would be “yes, please” or “no, thankyou”. Sometimes learners of English will say “ of course!” meaning to them “how kind of you, I would like a cup of tea, yes”

But if they say “of course” it could sound to the native English speaker something like “ yes I do, and you should already know that I do!” – in other words a little bit impolite. Of course, we do you the phrase “of course” – which I just used!

Some examples:

“Of course, when we go to the beach, we must not forget our towels”
“Of course I would like to go with you to the show – because we’d love seeing it together”
“I would, of course, need to bring my swim suit if we are going to the beach!”

These statements are used to agree with someone or affirm something needs or should be done.

Of course, there are many more uses for “of course” and of course, I would like to tell you more about it, but of course, I haven’t much time to do this today!

Common pronunciation difficulties:

The “th” sound as in think, thought, thanks as also the slightly different sound with the, these, though, there and those for example

The “r” sound for running, riding, rowing, rocking and rolling!

The “w” sound for walking a wonderful way to work

I’ll talk a little more about pronunciation next time

Bye for now

No comments: