Welcome to my multi-language blog! I hope you find it interesting. Currently I am learning French, German, Dutch, Spanish and Mandarin to a greater or lesser degree depending on freetime and the level of my motivation. Thanks to some nice friends I can keep this motivation high enough to keep progressing. Please leave some comments if you like. Don't forget to visit my chatroom at Paltalk.com "AlanLancs1 language chatroom" in the "learning and universities" category - see you there!

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Transcript - Alan's Weekend Words

Hello everyone
Here is a new chatcast. I’m calling this "Alan’s weekend words". I usually have a little time at the weekend to make a podcast and this weekend is no exception. I’m happy to know that you find my recordings interesting and I hope to keep on making them and hopefully keep your interest at the same time.
One of the reasons I decided to make these recordings was to create a small "language corner" where I can tell you some of the things I think are interesting and important about language. Also, whilst I think language lesson podcasts can be very good and helpful, I didn’t want to make mine into language lessons. Firstly, because I’m not a teacher and secondly (and more importantly in my opinion) because I think that people who are interested in languages, or are learning languages seriously need a way to hear that language spoken in a normal, everyday way. A podcast is one way of these people getting that opportunity.
I try to make my presentations like a "chat" and hopefully this will mean you will hear something different to language drills or situational dialogues and vocabulary or grammar tests in my recordings. I will try to just "chat" (inverted commas) in that, I will just talk about things that interest me or things that I have heard about that you might find interesting too.

In a week’s time, next Saturday, me and my wife will be going once more to Germany. We will be going with the Pendle/Kassel community exchange group. My wife is the leader of the English side of the group. This is a cultural exchange where a group of people from Pendle (the region in England where I live) will travel to Kassel in Germany to stay for a week. We will stay with families in the town.

This exchange has been in existence for 25 years and started as an educational exchange between a school in Pendle and a school in Kassel. This originally was for a group of students from each school to take part and visit their counterparts in either Germany or in England. The idea of the visit was to stay for a week with families, enjoying life with a family, and having excursions through the day to visit interesting places. Each year one school would host the visit and the other year they would be guests. This means that the visits took place annually – England one year and Germany the other year.

After a few years of successful student annual visits, some of the students’ parents were interested in taking part and they also enjoyed visiting and staying with families. These days, anyone can join at any age. We have members as young as 12 and as old as 78. This is a good opportunity for older and younger people to do things together, although of course not all the activities we do are for everyone. For example maybe the adults would visit a museum and the younger people would go swimming.

I like this exchange visit very much. It also gives me a chance to speak German and see more of the country and culture. My wife does not speak German, but she is fine because some people in the group can speak English and often language problems can be overcome easily by taking a bit of time to speak slowly. If necessary, we can always use a dictionary or phrase book or even make a sign of what we want to say.

I think these sort of exchanges between people from different countries can work very well and I’m looking forward to going and telling you about it afterwards.

As I am just chatting using my normal way of speaking, if you find some of the vocabulary difficult, please let me know and I’ll explain it more next time I make a podcast.
Don’t forget that you can read the transcription at my blog: www.alanpalmer.blogspot.com

Bye for now
Tschuess
A la prochaine
Zaijian!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alan,
I've always enjoyed learning things about different cultures and customs.
I like this new chatcast about the Pendle/Kassel community exchange group. How interesting and how fantastic it would be if we all could have the opportunities to visit the countries where the languages we are learning are spoken.And having experiences to stay with the families to know their lifestyle and exploring places.
After you return from this trip, please tell us about things you have enjoyed the most and the differences between Pendle and Kassel lifestyles. Have a wonderful trip.

I really like your chatcast, your laid-back way of reading combined with the nice guitar tune created a very relaxing atmosphere. Just like listening to an old friend talking to me.

I've heard the song "Les Champs-Elysées" several times before.
Be course I don't undertsand French at all, I could only enjoy the song without knowing what the song is singing about. In your song you put English words in it, that did made a big difference.
New I can enjoy the song knowing the meaning of the lyrics, and maybe I'll try to sing the English part.
Thank you for your time and good work. Looking forward to listenig to your next chatcast.

Cheerio!

prideandprejudice_1,

Anonymous said...

Hello Alan,
encore une fois j'ai bien aimé ce que vous dites. Votre propre expérience et votre amour pour l'apprentissage des langues m'aide beaucoup. You said that you are not a teacher. . . It's true but your postcasts are more helpful than lessons with professionals. You shaw me that's possible to learn with enjoyment and to be patient.
Also with your guitar I feel like peoples around a campfire.
Thanks
Bettina