Welcome to my multi-language blog! I hope you find it interesting. Currently I am learning French, German, Dutch, Spanish and Mandarin to a greater or lesser degree depending on freetime and the level of my motivation. Thanks to some nice friends I can keep this motivation high enough to keep progressing. Please leave some comments if you like. Don't forget to visit my chatroom at Paltalk.com "AlanLancs1 language chatroom" in the "learning and universities" category - see you there!

Thursday, December 27, 2007

more on asking questions

Hello everyone,

I hope you all had a nice Christmas - and to those of you who don't celebrate Christmas - I wish you well at the close of 2007.

Today I'd like to talk about using repetition and asking questions to help you speak in another language. 

I believe that when we speak another language that we are learning as an adult, we tend to worry that we aren't as good at speaking as we would like to be - as we are with our mother tongue for instance. It is often the case that we then think we need to speak faster than we should do - because maybe the person (or persons) listening to us would perhaps be:

* not understand us so well as we would like them to
* be a little impatient with us as they might be busy
* frustated that we don't speak as well as a native speaker

When I speak French or German I often try to speak too fast and make it difficult for myself.  I think this comes from frustration that I don't speak these languages as well as English and especially when I struggle to find the right word.

This happened to me in Germany last week. My wife wanted some paper tissues and I didn't know the word for "paper tissue" in German. I was frustrated that I had no dictionary with me, but then I thought "maybe just speak slowly and politely and then ask for tissues by saying (in German) "I would like some things please that we use for blowing noses, but I can't remember the German word!"

So, this is what I decided to do. I walked into a pharmacy and said that - very politely with a slightly apologetic smile. The shopkeeper immediately understood what I wanted - and gave me the tissues and said (in German) "please have them - f0r free". Not only did I get some tissues for my wife - but I got them for nothing! Obviously, I would have paid for them if the lady in the shop had asked me for money, but I was trying to illustrate how having a polite and pleasant attitude can help when we are speaking a different language.

This doesn't always work - I asked for a coffee at a German railway station kiosk - and then tried talking about the weather being cold - but the lady serving me was only interested in serving the coffee and getting the money - so I could only ask for a coffee in this particular situation.

Anyway, to talk a bit more about repetition. When talking in another language, repetition can help also. For instance, 

"Could you tell me the way to the railway station?" you can then add " do you know where the station is please? - is it far from here?"

This way, you have asked the question twice, and kept the listener's attention whilst they think if they can tell you.  The key thing then is to not say anything, but listen very carefully to their reply  - and just nod your head to show that you understand. Never be afraid to say "did you say, left at the next street? or should I go right? They can then confirm what they said before. You must then thank them and hopefully you will feel that you had a successful conversation.

It is always useful to have a few questions ready in your head that basically ask the same question. For example:

"Where is the nearest post office please?"
"I've been looking for a post office for quite a while - perhaps you know where one is please?"
"I have not been able to find a post office - but maybe you know where there is one nearby please?"
"Do you know where a local post office is please?"

If they start answering after the first question, then just leave out the extra questions unless you need them.

Always stay polite - and if someone ignores you - don't be too worried - they may just be too busy to speak. Don't assume they are not interested or dislike you.

I'm only speaking about my own experiences using my second and third languages.

Have a great New Year!

Bye for now



No comments: