Welcome to my multi-language blog! I hope you find it interesting. Currently I am learning French, German, Dutch, Spanish and Mandarin to a greater or lesser degree depending on freetime and the level of my motivation. Thanks to some nice friends I can keep this motivation high enough to keep progressing. Please leave some comments if you like. Don't forget to visit my chatroom at Paltalk.com "AlanLancs1 language chatroom" in the "learning and universities" category - see you there!

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Link words in English conversation October 13th

Linking words to help you time your english conversation
Hello everyone.
It has been some time since I made a podcast – but I have a little time today and I have made a short podcast for you.
Please leave me some feedback about my podcasts. It’s nice to receive it – as it’s not possible to know whether they are interesting or not. Anyway, I’ll leave it to you to decide. In any case thanks for listening.
In England, there are words we use that help us with keeping our thoughts on track during a conversation. They give us a little more time to decide what we want to say. When people learn English, these little words and phrases can also help to give more time to choose the right words and keep the conversation going.
Here’s an example. I’ll try to make this seem like a natural conversation as much as I can.
The first example is without the linking words:
Example 1 (I can say) " Hello David. How are you? I haven’t seen you for a while and it’s nice to see you. What are you doing these days? The last time we spoke you told me that you were working in a bank and that you were enjoying it – are you still working there?
Example 2 "Well hello David. So, how are you then? You know, I haven’t seen you for a while and it’s nice to see you you know.
So, what are you doing these days? Let me think… the last time we spoke you told me that, hmm, you were working in a bank – is that right? Well then, tell me…I think you said you were enjoying it – so,, are you still working there?
You can see that the second example uses the following extra words:
Well, So, then, Let me think, you know, hmm,is that right, well then, tell me
It could be said that these words aren’t really necessary - and example 1 would suggest this to be true. But in conversation, many words are often added or even taken away to make the conversation more informal, more friendly, simpler. Also, it gives the speaker more time to decide what to say and the listener more time to think how that want to answer and what they would like to say.
David says: "Hello there Alan, yes, well – I believe it was, hmmm, about 3 years ago wasn’t it? Yes, I think that we met up in a pub or something, yes, that’s it. You asked about my job, well, yes I’m still sort of enjoying it"
David could have said "Hello Alan, yes about 3 years ago? I think we met up in a pub or something. You asked about my job, well, yes I’m still enjoying it"
So David’s response uses these link words and phrases: there, yes, well, I believe it was, hmmm, wasn’t it, that’s it, well yes, sort of.
No this might seem to complicate the conversation – and for someone who isn’t used to English conversations – or doesn’t have a high level of English, it could seem to make listening more difficult. But this could actually make this easier – as it takes longer to say and gives you more time. It is also a good way to make things more friendly.
These extra link words and phrases are very popular in England and there are many more than those I’ve mentioned today.
So, have fun with link words – find as many as you can and try using them for conversational English!
Take care and see you next time

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How can i carry away windows xp from my laptop and reinstall windows Me -the laptops first software?
I be struck by recently bought a used laptop that is old. The person I had bought it from had installed windows xp on it, even yet it originally came with windows Me. I after to remove the windows xp because it runs slows on the laptop because it takes up more honour than the windows Me would. Also I wish to remove windows xp because it is an illegal copy. So when I tried to run updates on it, windows would not install updates because the windows xp is not genuine. [URL=http://kouuvvs.hostific.com]agnostic front believe lyrics[/URL]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Answers :

It's haler to scram [URL=http://zgllmuz.hostific.com/jesse-ohio-maude-disher-young.html]jesse ohio maude disher young[/URL] Windows XP and even-handed upgrade your laptop. It's much better. [URL=http://hukkzua.hostific.com/karina-sweeney-barnes-and-noble.html]karina sweeney barnes and noble[/URL] Except for, Windows XP is way [URL=http://yfyawde.hostific.com/noble-thomas-catterson.html]noble thomas catterson[/URL] more advisedly then Windows Me. Windows Me is unused and tons programs that can come across with XP, can't [URL=http://fhmesoa.hostific.com/john-mcdouall-stuart.html]john mcdouall stuart[/URL] look over with Me.
------------------------------
all you participate in to do is insert the windows me disk into the cd drive. then reboot your laptop, when the resentful [URL=http://cocahom.hostific.com/missionette-uniforms.html]missionette uniforms[/URL] sift with all the info comes up and when it asks u to boot from cd [URL=http://zgllmuz.hostific.com/jethawk-ii.html]jethawk ii[/URL] belt any indication when it tells you to then put from there !!! I RECOMEND SINCE ITS AN ILLEAGLE TWIN TO WIPE [URL=http://xoqzfgh.hostific.com/gail-lave.html]gail lave[/URL] OUT THE [URL=http://zgllmuz.hostific.com/jewel-mathieson.html]jewel mathieson[/URL] CONTINUOUS HARD GOAD WHEN IT ASKS YOU WHICH HARD [URL=http://zxrengh.hostific.com/robert-rector-painting.html]robert rector painting[/URL] DRIVE TO INSTALL IT ON. THEN SUM ALL THE FREE SPELL ON THE EMPTY [URL=http://picdemi.hostific.com/kathy-krasniewicz.html]kathy krasniewicz[/URL] HARD CONSTRAIN ONTO A UP TO DATE ORDER SETTING, IT WILL-POWER LOOK LIKE C:/ Exposed or something like that